News Headlines

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Cleaning Up an Old Mess

I remember growing up and watching the world whiz by while I sat in the back seat of my Mom and Dad’s cars. Once we began approaching Lakewood and Tacoma, you could see the ratty, run-down motels lining up along South Tacoma Way and parts of I-5. And now in 2007 it appears that some of those nasty old motels are going away. Honestly, I can’t say that I’m terribly upset to see some of those old motels get the old heave-ho. Actually, I’m relieved and happy. Attached is an article from the Tacoma News Tribune discussing this very issue. That’s not to say that everyone in those motels is a criminal or not deserving of something better, that’s not the case at all. It appears that some of those residents living in some of those motels just felt like they had no other option available to them. Hopefully there will be better housing options presented to them that will better serve their needs. But regardless, those motels were rife with crime, drugs, and sanitation issues. Hopefully the redevelopment of those areas does justice to the residents who have been roughing it nearby for all of those years. But besides all of the other side issues involving affordable housing, I’m just glad to see some of those old hellholes go away.

The Tacoma News Tribune

No comments: