News Headlines

Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Mass Transit Needs

Traffic has sucked around here lately because of all of the highway construction and changes. A small price to pay for improvements so I try not to get too pissy about it. But what does bother me is that it really does seem like many in Western WA want more mass transit. And although there are some options, it's just that, some options. It's impossible for me to go to work via bus or Sounder if I wanted. I'm sure it's the same for many others out there who may work in an area other than downtown Seattle. My question is, why isn't more being done? I get it that Sound Transit has this board of executives who are reviewing everything and that there is a budget that confines them to some degree. But this is one of those things that I think people would pay for if they knew that they were getting a useful, quality product. Unlike a road tax where you don't know where or if that money helps road construction or maintenance in their area, if people could vote on train routes or bus lines, I think people would be more inclined to vote yes. Maybe once or twice a year, a vote is put forward on maybe five or six new mass transit options. The voters get the price tags and timelines for completion and debates are held discussing all of the merits of the options. Somehow if something more comprehensive was presented to the people, I think that we would have more options and mass transit sooner. To the detriment of us all, I feel like the voter is being underestimated on this issue both in sense and financial generosity.

No comments: