News Headlines

Thursday, February 22, 2007

Worthy Goal-Fair Share Housing

There’s been some discussion in my circle of friends and family about Tacoma, crime, and certain neighborhoods getting the brunt of violent or dangerous felons residing there. I’ve been a little bit involved in working towards “Fair Share” agreements where certain areas of the city no longer accept halfway or transitional housing due to an oversaturation of felons in that neighborhood. And due to my observance, I’ve noticed that unfortunately, there are still people out there who would rather victimize poor neighborhoods and dump felons there as opposed to spreading out transitional housing so that no particular area is completely inundated with a high-risk population. It’s the typical “not in my backyard” mentality except that those without a political or strong financial voice don’t get any say. Instead, those residing in nicer areas push their representative council members or politicians to reject any such fair idea. In their minds, senior citizen housing is a burden enough in their neighborhoods (not to mention that Fair Share housing would be taking up valuable real estate and driving their land values lower). How dare anyone in lower neighborhoods reject any more housing opportunities? After all, don’t the residents of those lower income neighborhoods have the sense to move if there is any issue with the establishment of more half-way houses? Somehow I don’t think that train of thought was supposed to be the original design of local American politics.

2 comments:

angela said...

Personal I wouldn't want felons or violent individuals in my neighborhood who's just gotten out of jail. If I have to send them to shady side of town, I'm all for it. I know many of these people are people of circumstance, but I feel they put themselves in that circumstance. So why should I have to be punished by having a half way house to some child molester a block from my house? I send stay on skid row, keep them out of the nice neighborhoods. Sorry to be so blunt, but the safety of my children is more important to me then to be politically correct regarding this matter. As far as I'm concerned. Do onto others...

Peter said...

Unfortunately you're assuming that there is oversight and that these felons only commit crime in the poor neighborhood though. And, recidivism is actually higher when these felons are around other high risk felons. It's creating an even higher risk environment. You can't treat the issue or properly oversee someone if they're never forced out of a crime ridden environment. And wealthier people aren't punished. As a matter of fact, many of the felons come from those neighborhoods. Crime isn't a poor people problem. Tacoma for example, is the original home to only some of the felons residing here. But, because of county and municipal facilities, certain felons end up here that were originally from other parts of the region. Trust me, Vegas has the same problem. Someone in timbuktu commits a felony, gets thrown in the Vegas holding facility, is released into a Vegas halfway house (because the city didn't bother to think of sending this person back to where they came from), and the felon is now a Vegas resident. Sadly, this isn't native to Tacoma, it's a societal and Dept. of Corrections problem and zoning problem. To create a cesspool of crime because someone doesn't want to bother with it is only creating a much deeper, darker issue.