News Headlines

Thursday, December 28, 2006

Soul Brother Number One

Man, I was bummed to hear that James Brown passed away. I love that dude's music. He was a total original. I regret never seeing him perform live. It would have easily been one of the most memorable moments in my life, no joke. I remember hearing some history on him during a history of popular music class that I was taking during my time at UW (University of Washington-Seattle). I was blown away by the stuff I was hearing. There's still no one out there that sounds like him or had the lyrics that he had. He once said that the two big American originals were Elvis and himself. And in many ways, he was absolutely right. James was a superstar back when a black guy could only be a superstar to a portion of the willing and open American population. James' music was so bad, "It makes me want to look in a mirror, jump back, and kiss myself. 'Cause I'm SuperBad." Here's to the "Hardest Working Man in Show Business, the Godfather of Soul, Soul Brother Number One." Hopefully Heaven is having a funk good time.

1 comment:

angela said...

I was never a James Brown fan. Though I do appreciate his contribution to the music world. And his ability to strive above racial standards in America. I also admire his longevity in the business and his mark in the world. But I still don't claim to be a fan, was or will be.