News Headlines

Friday, January 12, 2007

Troop Surge/Escalation

I was watching Headline News this morning and there was a bit on Bush's plans to send approximately 20,000 more troops to Baghdad. I'm not necessarily against that, but I hope there is a little more cohesion in planning and not another reaction to more bad news. The Democrats seem to be opposed to it, but I'm not quite sure what I think of the plan. If sending more troops helps keep our deployed troops safe, then I'm for the surge. But, if this is just another poor decision piled on top of the others, then I would believe that we need to think about this in order to prevent adding to our losses. With so much rhetoric, it's hard to justify what is needed and what is simply a political ploy to save face. Unfortunately, I'm not so sure that any politician out there has the fortitude to speak about not only the reality, but also what is really needed. That would be welcome from either a Democrat or a Republican.

No comments: